Saturday 30 March 2013

Final digipak


Final Digipak


Album Cover 


The album cover is fun, cool and youthful. I was inspired by the Beatles 'Hard days night' album which had a similar concept of the band members faces being duplicated. I used a variety of props that have been inspired by 'Wheres Wally' such as the glasses and matching tops. Instead of red and white stripes I chose to use check shirts which is a popular type of clothing for indie bands, I also used sunglasses intead of glasses to give it a trendy vibe. Most importantly i used the prop if a wig to relate to the bands name 'Blonde Louis'. This adds an element of intertexuality. Furthermore as it is their first album it's conventional of the band to have their image as the main focus point as this shows brand identity so their fans can see what type of people they are.  The reason I used the name 'Blonde Louis' as the album title is to follow the conventions of new albums as they often use just the name of the band or artist to promote their brand image and get the audience family with their name. 




CD Disc

As the front cover is quite bold in appearance I wanted the CD to reflect the same style but tone it down in terms of images. I decided to go for a plain white background with the bands name 'Blonde Louis' in bold lettering that followed the theme. I thought that having just the band name was very effective as when the person opens the album the CD reinforces the name to the audience. Also it is clear who the band are. I was influenced by a british indie band 'Arctic Monkeys' as they have done CD discs like this. 




Back cover


I wanted the back cover to follow the same simple and bold theme but also look different to the front and the CD. I followed conventions of digipaks by putting the band on the back cover which is used alot in first albums. Moreover i wanted to challenge conventions as the text is usually central. I wanted to place it in a unique place to highlight the indie genre as they often don't follow what other artists do. I think it adds a unique element. I also used two types of barcodes. The first is the standard barcode, but the second is a QRCode so the buyer can scan this on their smartphone and accesses different content relating to the band. I also used the record label 'Columbia' which is a rock/indie record label to so that that is the type of music they will be producing.




Insert






For the insert I didn't want to have the band in the image, but instead i used the props of the guitar, drum set and keyboard. I did this to reflect the genre of the band as being indie as no instruments have featured in my digipak other than this. Moreover using the bands name over again reinforces the brand identity but also gives it a pop art feel which I was trying to achieve.



No comments:

Post a Comment